Holidays are over, and with that, the next billing cycle starts again, our credit cards are due in less than ten days, and if you are a mom like me, most probably you need real ways to make money from home. So, before you start drafting your resume, embarking on a job search or click on every website offering quick schemes to make money; take a deep breath. Prepare a coffee and check this post before committing to a job that barely pays the bills, getting dragged into schemes or wasting time and money on a startup.
I’ve been researching Facebook groups, and after 50 days of reading and collecting data from more than 75 mom groups, and reading over 1.5K comments the hardcore truth is that legit online/work from home opportunities for moms are hard to find.
In a nutshell, there are 3 real ways to make money from home:
- Online jobs
This is the safest way to earn an income from home, you get a paycheck every cycle, and you decide your own hours, but it takes time to land a job. About 65 days with a clear strategy and laser focus mindset.
3 things to keep in mind about online jobs:
- Make your resume available ONLY on legit job search websites and don’t accept text messages.
- If you get an interview request, check that the recruiter actually works for the company listed, verify that the last part of the email signature is not from a Hotmail, Gmail, or Yahoo account.
- DO NOT provide any personal information via email until you get an official job offer.
5 Top Online Jobs
- Virtual Assistant. For me, a VA job is more like a step to become your own boss, where you can start with a company, get experience, and when you feel confident enough to fly solo, boom! Start looking for your clients. You can also take a class with Lorin and learn all the tricks of the craft and start making money right away. The average pay is $18/hour, but as a business owner you can pump up the rate to $30 -which is precisely what the company you started with actually charges-
- Transcriber. Perfect for speedy typists with excellent grammar and punctuation. You make your own schedule by viewing a database of audio files to transcribe and choosing ones that work best for you. Look on job searching websites like LinkedIn and directly at the career portals of companies like Lionbridge or TranscribeMe. The average salary varies from $15 to $22/hour
- Proofreader. Nerdy grammar enthusiasts only! You need to be able to spot inconsistencies, review if arguments make sense, understand the voice of the essay, the message, word choice, and, of course, the spelling. You can start with friends and family, then when you fill comfortable pointing out inconsistencies, look into LinkedIn, Flexjobs, and editorial magazines. The average salary is $32/hour.
- Editor. Much like a proofreader on steroids, you need to be a creative writer with proven experience, maybe one or two self-published books, and internet access at all times. Manufacturers and brands are looking for original content to boost their products. Deadlines are vital in this industry, so you just have to be careful to plan accordingly. The average salary is $36/hour, and you can also get paid by the article $50 – $500. The top freelance communities for writers and editors are Writers Work, (more like a membership to get access to work) and IHirePublishing, you can also review career portals of your favorite magazines and submission guidelines.
- Web Designer. Working as a website designer might sound impossible if you don’t know how to code, but this isn’t true. It’s never been easier to build websites, and all businesses need them. Many companies are willing to pay someone who knows how to use a drag and drop creator since this is a cheaper service that offers similar results. The average salary is $36/hour, and you can also get paid by the project.
If you want to make it with MLM, you need to get some network marketing training, or you simply won’t make it. As in any MLM business.
3 things to keep in mind BEFORE joining any MLM
- Multilevel marketing is one of the hardest businesses to run, but it is one of the real ways to make money from home without investing more than $70.
- There will always be a registration fee and optional starting kits.
- Success is determined by your work ethic and networking skills.
7 Top MLM Companies
- Amway. (Revenue: $8.6 billion). Amway was founded in 1959 and is probably the most popular multi-level marketing company in the world.
- Avon. (Revenue: $5.7 billion). Avon has been around since 1886 when it was founded as the California Perfume Company. Known as Avon since 1939, more than 6 million people around the world currently sell the company’s cosmetics and other products directly to customers. This MLM company is one of the biggest beauty brands in the U.S
- Herbalife. (Revenue $4.40 billion). Nutrition company Herbalife is a giant, with more than 2.3 million distributors. Herbalife has been in business since 1980, and Herbalife products feature vitamins, minerals, nutrients, enzymes, and other ingredients intended to support healthy and active lifestyles. Doctors and scientists have a role in product research and development; the company also has a Nutrition Advisory Board made up of international members.
- Mary Kay. (Revenue $3.25 billion). One of the best-known names in multi-level marketing, Mary Kay, has been around since 1963 when founder Mary Kay Ash started the company with a $5,000 investment.
- Nu Skin. (Revenue: $2.28 billion). Nu Skin is a company that sells anti-aging skincare products and nutritional products. It was founded in 1984 in Utah.
- Tupperware. (Revenue $2.26 Billion). Tupperware is one of the oldest and best-known MLMs. People have been hawking Tupperware since the 1950s. The companies founder was one of the pioneers of direct selling, realizing that it offered women a way to make money when many didn’t work outside the home.
- Melaluca. (Revenue $2 billion). Melaleuca calls themselves the “largest online wellness shopping club,” selling nutrition, personal care, home cleaning, and cosmetics products that are supposed to be safer and more cost-effective than grocery store brands.
Your freelancing plan must have a specific statement with details of what steps have to be followed, a time schedule for each step, details on how to supervise activities, a description of the resources needed, and clarification of what will happen if criteria are not met.
The hardest part of freelancing is that you are your own boss, and you need to make yourself accountable, but with Acuity Scheduling, “you can schedule your clients while you sleep”.
- Blogging. Being a mommy blogger is a real job for moms. Low entry cost, growth potential, you can work around your schedule or your family’s schedule and still earn an income. If you are creative, organized, and self-starter, then blogging is your next business.
- Bookkeeper. If you aced HomeEd, Maths, Economics, and you are incredibly organized, pay attention to details, then this is a good option. Bookkeeping records financial transactions, track expenses, record statements, and invoices. It is an excellent choice for stay-at-home moms because, after the first meeting, everything else is done via the phone or webcam. You can pitch your services at school meetings, local businesses that know you, or you can browse LinkedIn, or Flexjobs. The average fee you can charge your clients is $18/hour.
- Etsy Store Owner. If you want to sell the crafts you make, and everyone loves, an Etsy store could be a good option. Etsy includes digital products and printables.
- Tutoring. If you have a Bachelor’s level or above, this could be a great option.Chegg facilitates online tutoring via video call in a wide range of subjects, and pay starts at $20 an hour.
- English Teacher. This is the EASIEST and real way to make money from home if you are a native English speaker with an internet connection. VIPKid is specifically for students in China, and you can earn up to $22 an hour. Magic Ears is for teaching young children (aged 4-12), and you can earn from $20 to $26 an hour. gogokid allows you to teach English online to Chinese children and make between $14 and $22 an hour.
Thanks for stopping by and hope my post helps you decide which real way to make money from home is a good fit for you.
If you have more legit companies on how to make money from home make a comment so I can write about it in a future post.
You like this? Remember that sharing is caring.